Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

My story

I was out mailing my wedding invitations that September morning before I would head to my student job at Indiana State University.  I walked inside of the post office of my small town, and the postal worker was telling me that a plane had hit the World Trade Center in New York City.  I had made a comment about it being bombed not that long ago, and he agreed.  He said, "I don't know if I would want to visit those buildings."  I laughed and half-heartedly agreed.  I finished applying stamps on my invitations, and then got into my car and started on my 15 minute drive to work.  I was listening to the radio, and it was different.  I don't remember hearing that a second plane had hit, but I do remember the female DJ was upset on air.  I remember hearing, "they are attacking the Pentagon.  A plane hit the Pentagon."  That is when fear set in.  I got on my cell phone and called my finace (Chad), and my first words were, "I think we are being attacked!!"  As I am typing this, I am filled with that feeling again...chills throughout my body, and a sinking feeling in my stomach.  I don't remember much more of that conversation.  I remember being scared...scared because a chemical depot plant was only 30 miles North of where my family and I lived.  If we were seriously under attack, the VX nerve gas plant was surely on a "hit list." 

I arrived to work.  My student job was with the attorney for the university, and my work station was located at the ISU President's office known as Condit House.  I arrived to work, and everyone was gathered in the kitchen area watching the television.  We just stood there in silence, and watched as the South Tower collapsed.  We were all in utter disbelief and shock.  We stood and watched more as the North Tower collapsed not long after.  What do you say?  What do you do?  Everyone was just numb from disbelief!  Is this really happening?  I remember at one point I was sitting at my desk area and calling my mom.  I remember her telling me that we needed to find my brother.  I think there was just this overwhelming sense to find your family...hold close to those that you love the most.  Find them, tell them you love them, just hold on to a sense of "normal" life. 

I cannot imagine the fear that those in New York were feeling, especially not being able to find out right away if a family member made it or not.  The days after the initial attacks were so sad as we started to hear the stories of how everything unfolded that day.  I will never forget.  The feelings are just as raw now as they were that day 11 years ago.  That day really showed the evil that is in this world, but I know that so  many turned to Him on that day and continue to do so now.  Evil did not win, and I will never forget!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails